Holtec Decommissioning International (HDI) is dedicated to the safe and efficient decommissioning of shuttered nuclear plants. HDI’s approach to decommissioning is to begin and complete the physical work of decontamination and dismantlement decades sooner than if the current nuclear plant owner retains ownership of the plant.
A wholly-owned subsidiary of Holtec International, HDI is the licensed operator for Holtec-owned nuclear power plants and provides the licensee oversight of the decommissioning work that is performed by Comprehensive Decommissioning International (CDI), Holtec and SNC-Lavalin’s jointly owned decommissioning general contractor. In addition, HDI manages the decommissioning trust fund as well as other owner interests, such as licensing strategy, insurance, land and government interface.
HDI’s managerial oversight utilizies a fleet management approach for decommissioning multiple sites. This includes standardized processes and procedures leading to improved safety, increased productivity and the minimization of duplicative managerial costs. A similar approach is used by many operating utility companies with a portfolio of plants.
Our Value Proposition
Ability to own shutdown facilities and spent nuclear fuel
A recognition that site personnel play a key role in decommissioning
Multiple projects executed under a “Fleet Management Approach”
Innovative technology to safely expedite spent nuclear fuel storage
Plans to move the fuel to consolidated interim storage in medium term
Specialized fabrication capability for tooling and equipment
Specialty products and processes for waste management
Financial strength of parent company to back all of the above
Our Decommissioning Approach
- Enter into agreements with generating companies in advance of plant shutdown
- Submit initial regulatory requests
- Work with the site decommissioning organization to plan activities
- In coordination with the current plant owner/operator:
- Work with state and local officials
- Communicate to stakeholders
- Following certification of permanent defueling, implement approved license transfer
- Plant personnel become HDI and CDI employees
- Safe comprehensive decommissioning of the site